COURTESY PHOTO The Independent-Register
The Exchange House is located down this street behind the trees in a photo that was taken in Brodhead before 1895.

Halfway through the 19th century, Loring S. Fisher moved to the newly settled Brodhead area.

He came from Bowdoinham, Maine, with hopes to run an inn, just like his father had.

Fisher’s dream came true in 1864, when he opened the Exchange House inn on Exchange Street just west of the square.

Pick up the Aug. 19th print edition for full story….